Possible campaign for the Leatherhead Residents Association…
Dorking & Leatherhead are connected by a very good cycle lane. It is about four & a half miles long and very safe for about 95% of it’s length. The problem is that on arrival in Leatherhead, cyclist are faced with a choice of either:
- Turn left down Thorncroft Drive to the Leisure Centre and then entering Leatherhead Town Centre via the Town Bridge .
- Turn left down Thorncroft Drive and use the new River Path.
- Continue up Dorking Road (Gimcrack Hill).
Each of these routes has problems and dangers.
- Thorncroft Drive does not have a very good surface for road going bikes. Cyclist are then faced with the dangers of exiting Fetcham Grove and getting over the Town Bridge.
- Cycling along the new River Path is frowned upon by some members of the public because the perceive bikes to be dangerous.
- Gimcrack Hill is not safe for bikes because of parked cars, motorist ignoring the transition to 30 mph zone etc.
The Government is trying to encourage cycling to get folks out of their cars and so SCC should make cycling as safe as possible. Better protect need to be afforded to cyclist choosing to the Gimcrack Hill route.
- Improve signs for motorist informing them that cyclist may be on the road.
- More indications to drivers e.g 30 mph painted on the road, to warn of the reduced speed limit.
- A ‘soft’ cycle lane painted on the road from the exit of Thorncroft Drive up to the area where cars normally park on Dorking Road.
Please can the LRA put this on it’s list of things to discuss at one of LRA meetings (August).